I wrote this to you on Twitter, but I wanted to post here as well.
Right now, this is a confusing dynamic. I’m trying to even articulate what all of the options are:
- Post for free with no publication attached.
- Post for Medium members, no publication.
- Post for free, with publication.
- Post for members, no contract, with publication.
- Post for members, under a contract, with publication.
It will remain to be seen what other authors with vastly larger follower lists do, but I think the main benefits of each are:
- Minimal exposure (depends on follower list & engagement).
- Large likelihood of small payment, small chance of large payment.
- Guaranteed exposure, more than #1.
- No chance of payment, higher exposure than #2 but less than #3.
- Guaranteed payment, no chance of large payment, guaranteed exposure.
If I write something that is not likely to be a huge hit, I may try #1 or #3. If I think I have a great piece that I worked for weeks on, I may try #2 or #5. As of right now, I don’t see the any value to the author in #4.